Sunday 1 November, broadcast starts at 09:00 CAT
JOIN THE CHASE ON ZWIFT
The objective of the FNB Wines2Whales Zwift Champions Chase is simple: cross the finish line before being caught by the pros!
On Sunday 1 November, the 29.6 kilometre race, taking place on Zwift’s Road to Ruins, kicks off at 09:10 for the amateurs. The pros, including the likes of Barbara Benko, Mani Fumic, and Maxime Marotte, will be left on the start line to plan their attack before being let loose a few minutes later to try and catch those riders up the road. And believe us, they will be chasing hard!
We will be broadcasting the racing action live to our Facebook and YouTube channels for the world to see, and all who participate will get to rub virtual shoulders with the world’s best mountain bikers and stand the chance to win spot prizes for pushing the pedals. Andrew Neethling and Shaun Peters will be on commentator duty and they’re guaranteed to offer all who tune in a good time.
- 09:00 Broadcast starts
- 09:10 Amateurs start
- 09:15 Pro women start
- 09:20 Pro men start
Watopia’s “Road to Ruins” was added with the Mayan jungle expansion in late October 2017. It begins just like the Jungle Circuit, but takes you to the Volcano Flat and back home to the start/finish banner instead of leaving you riding jungle laps.
Currently this is the only route which takes you through the jungle and back through the start/finish banner without going over the Epic KOM. It is sure to be a popular group ride route for this reason.
RACING FOR CHARITY
The FNB Wines2Whales celebrates and supports the communities through which our famed route passes. The top 3 UCI riders from the pro men’s and pro women’s field will be offered up to R10 000 to donate to an FNB Wines2Whales beneficiary of their choosing. This encourages the riders to race for bragging rights and to support a cause close to their hearts.
The official beneficiaries that winners can choose to donate to are:
30 October – 8 November
TO THE TRAILS WITH STRAVA
The FNB Wines2Whales route and its trails are part of the #SeriousGEES we always strive to deliver; for that reason we have created a number of Gees-filled routes at local trail centres around South Africa to ensure that you can hit the trails with your mates, rev the engines, chase some King and Queen of the Mountain trophies and possibly win some amazing prizes.
Simply join the FNB Wines2Whales Strava club, download the GPX files for the trails closest to you, load them to your head unit and hit the trails!
Spot prizes will be awarded to FNB W2W Strava Club members, as well as to the fastest riders over the various segments.
Racing the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase is your ticket to winning awesome prizes from our sponsors. Here’s what’s up for grabs!
4 x FNB Wines2Whales Entries
Stand a chance to share the Gees at the 2021 FNB Wines2Whales
We have a selection of amazing prizes from our venue partners
Wine farms from the surrounding areas have offered some of their finest wines as prizes.
KNOW THE RULES
To be eligible to participate and win prizes, riders need to abide by the following rules:
- The Strava segments will be open from 30 October – 8 November. Only rides completed during this period will be eligible to win.
- All riders need to be part of the FNB Wines2Whales Strava Club.
- All rides need to include the FNB W2W Champions Chase Strava segment.
- Rides and rider profiles need to be public so that the FNB W2W team is able to view the activity.
- We encourage your rides to be named FNB Wines2Whales #ChampionsChase LOCATION. Example FNB Wines2Whales #ChampionsChase Oak Valley.
- All qualifying rides based on the above-mentioned rules will be entered into a draw to win various prizes from our sponsors as well as entries into the 2021 FNB Wines2Whales.
- Winners will be randomly drawn and announced on social media and on the FNB W2W Strava Club by the end of November 2020.
- All spot prizes awarded during the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase are final and no conversation will be entered into. Prizes cannot be transferred or exchanged for cash.
- Riders can submit their rides via comments on the FNB Wines2Whales Facebook page or via Facebook inbox.
- We do not condone rogue riding and we encourage all riders to purchase the relevant trail permits to gain access to the various trail networks.
- We encourage responsible riding and ask that you always wear your helmet.
All riders participating in the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase, either via Zwift or Strava, do so completely at their own risk. The FNB Wines2Whales and its sponsors accept no responsibility for any injury that may occur during the event.
Please practice physical distancing wherever possible.
- Spot prizes will only be awarded to riders who reside in South Africa.
- Prizes containing alcohol are only available to riders over the age of 18.
- Only UCI registered pro riders qualify for prize money that is to be donated to charity.